Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My opinion on The Twilight Saga



I don't know how many of you have heard of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series but after completing the four book series recently in one and a half weeks (gasps!), it is only to be expected that I give my opinion of it since I've virtually done nothing else. (:

As i was initially coerced by avid fans into reading the first book, I started on it without much expectations of it being a good read. From snippets of friends' conversations about the series, the storyline line and genre was an immediate turn off because it was about vampires and werewolves with distasteful romance. I thought that I wouldn't last even through the first chapter.

But I was wrong.

Upon reading the first page I realised this book wasn't one of those that involved thinking. Stephenie Meyer has a very simple style of writing, and though she tries to describe emotions and scenes with detail, they just come across as repetitive. I have never speed read any faster in my life than when reading this series. Yet, in a stange way, I enjoyed the four books.

I was trying to think of reasons as to why Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga captivated and enthralled me so when the genre was standard of the series was not something I would typically like. Moreover, all my three sisters made remarks that questioned my sanity-why did I get such a kick out of reading the Twilight series? My youngest sister innocently exclaimed that all her friends were reading the book and asked whether she could read it too-absolutely not, she's only 10! That proved that the book would retard my mind since the standard was that of a ten year old. Another remarked (not as innocently) that all the girls who wouldn't be caught within a 100m radius of a book were all reading it, which was also very telling. The last sister tried to be supportive, reading the first book but then gave up and resorted to reading a very comprehensive synopsis by Wikipedia and told me to do the same. She said the series would be an insult to my intelligence.

But I couldn't help finishing the first book and subsequently the other three.

I have arrived at the conclusion that after years of reading anything but pre-teen/teen-fiction, books like that of Stephenie Meyer's come across as a 'refreshing' change. Having been a literature student, exposed to texts that sometimes tortured my brain, this contrastingly mindless series proved to be a pleasurable read. Not because I marvel at the plot of the story but that I find the cheesy romance and predictable storyline entertaining, almost comical. I mock at Stephanie Meyer's haphazard way of writing, her lack of planning and the many loopholes in her story-which is fun. She drags the novel on and on, and only develops the storyline towards the end of the novel, where all the action starts and ends in a matter of a few chapters.

I've realised that though she may not be a first class author, she's smart. She keeps her readers glued to the book because in the midst of all her weak attempts and describing the vampire boy Edward and human girl Bella's romantic encounters and dramatic escapades, which can be very dreary, she does not fail to pepper such scenes with an important detail or two to keep the reader going.

I did get carried away with the romance initially, thinking how Edward was sweet and Bella was being a pain but Stephanie Meyer got bolder with each sequel and the way she portrayed their intensifying romance was feeble because it only made a realist like me somewhat disgusted. Because of the heavy emphasis on romance, what with love triangles and all, it made certain characters like Bella and a werewolf boy Jacob (obviously in the love triangle) get progressively annoying as well.

The series wasn't a total flop to me because besides it giving me the satisfaction of making digs at the author and being amused by how contrived the story seems to be, there were a few thrilling events in the book. One such event would be the battle amongst the vampires because of our dear female protagonist Bella. Another interesting part in the series was on how the vampires and werewolves which are supposed to be enemies worked alongside each other to fight, unfortunately, again for Bella. And this last one which had me squirming while I was reading was the dramatic process of Bella giving birth. Ignoring the far fetched idea of a vampire impregnating a human (as vampires have no life in them), Meyer gave a horrific and grotesque but exciting description of Bella's delivery. It made me feel tense and at the edge of my seat, reading faster to get the progression more quickly-one of the rare moments where the feeling she intended her readers to experience actually came through.



This is my bit of info-tainment to everyone out there, i hope i didn't bore you to death! Now to concentrate on the upcoming finals!haha...

No comments: